Saturday, February 22, 2014

I Thought They Were Written for Someone Else

Bookbub recently featured an ad for Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants.  And even though that book has been out forever, that ad really made me want to read it because I never did. I only saw the movie.

It probably piqued my interest because there are lots of bestsellers I didn't read when they first came out because I was convinced they were written for someone else. Goofy, huh?

Take the one I'm reading now, The Fault in our Stars. I thought it was just for teens, and maybe that is the target audience but hey, I remember how it was to be a teen. Well, sort of. Actually, some days I can remember that period better than I can remember what I had for breakfast.

Anyhow, cancer is universal so I suppose that's why it is such a bestseller. Well, that plus the standout writing. I've just barely started this book, so I can't say too much about it.

The Goldfinch, on the other hand, was one I picked up on the basis of the eye-catching cover. I don't do that very often, but the picture of the bird bursting through the paper really made me wonder about the contents. When I read that it was about a terroristic event involving a little painting of a goldfinch, I was hooked.  It didn't let me down. Yes, I like weird.

Another one I read recently was Gone, Girl. It's another bestseller that's been out for awhile. I think I  avoided this one simply because so many others were reading it. Yes. I do suffer from a chronic case of obstinance. But I admit it so it's okay, right?

I discovered it was a real page-turner. So clever. What did you think about it? Did you like the ending. Me, I liked it. Sort of, I think.  

What shall I read next? I remember when the novel Wild, by Cheryl Strayed, came out. Now this one, I kept meaning to read and just never did. But I loved the cover, and the title, and even the ironic name of the author.  Maybe it was too cute. I don't know. Tell me, should I read it?  So far, every bestseller I've picked up has been well worth it.  I know. I'll check out that old brick and mortar dinosaur, the library. That way, if I don't like it, I'm not out anything. See, I still think like a reader. Even if I have become addicted to that easy one-click button.

Afterthought: Not only am I addicted to one-click shopping on Amazon, I'm also addicted to the built in nightlight on my Kindle. It goes off automatically when I fall asleep. My bedside lamp doesn't do that.





No comments: