Sunday, February 9, 2014

Whaaaat?

Okay, so I borrowed this quote from Goodreads. I love their quotes about writers. But is this for real? Read it and then think about the implications:


We'd get sick on too many cookies, but ever so much sicker on no cookies at all. 

Nobel Prize winner Sinclair Lewis' (born February 7, 1885) most popular novels, Main Street and Babbitt, were satires of American life. As a Yale student, Lewis met Jack London and sold him plots for 14 short stories, earning $70.

Am I reading that right? He sold Jack London plots for 14 short stories? That is so cool and so . . . weird. I mean, I love Jack London's stories, and I've never been able to read Main Street. (I know, I know, lowbrow, can't help it.)

Nope, I didn't know about this. Never heard it before in my life. However, it reminds me of the question of who really wrote all of Shakespeare's plays or who really posed for the Mona Lisa (do you think it was the woman whose bones were found beneath the convent, or was it, as one of the older theories said, really a self-portrait of da Vinci himself?)

Talk about weird.

Anyhow, I wanted to wrap this all up with a recent quote from J.K. Rowling. She admitted in an interview that she probably made a mistake by not having Harry and Hermione wind up together at the end of the Harry Potter series. Whaaat? Now that's something to consider, isn't it? Of course I have to agree with her, they really should have gotten together. After all the author put them through, it was the least she could do.

Afterthought:
Now, about that Sinclair Lewis quote. . . 

"We'd get sick on too many cookies, but ever so much sicker on no cookies at all." 

I would have to agree, especially around Valentines's day. *Hint* 






No comments: