Saturday, July 6, 2013

#WeWriWa Excerpt from Stevie-girl and the Phantom Student



Hey, Everyone, 
Welcome back to another excerpt from my Phantom series. This time it's from the 2nd book in the series, Stevie-girl and the Phantom Student.  I'm giving you the foreword because I think it explains a lot about the time period and the set up.  The only thing it doesn't mention is the phantom student herself!  
NEXT WEEK, JULY 9TH - 13TH, the first book in the series, Stevie-girl and the Phantom Pilot, will be FREE on Amazon http://tinyurl.com/crr5kry

 Below is the foreword from Book Two, which serves as my excerpt today.  It is in Stevie's POV and yes, Victoria, there really is Creative Punctuation:
  Stevie-girl and the Phantom Student
©Ann Swann

Book Two of
The Phantom Series

            This book is dedicated to all those students who walk the halls like phantoms, hoping their differences truly are invisible.
  
             To us, 1970 was a time of beginnings, but to the country, it was a time of endings. National Guardsmen ended the lives of four students at Kent State College; one hundred thousand marched on Washington to end the war in Vietnam; and in England, Paul McCartney announced the end of The Beatles.  It was also the year Jimi Hendrix and Janis Joplin both ended their lives through drug overdoses.  It felt as if the whole world was in turmoil.
            Our homeroom teacher said not to let the weight of the world stop us from being open to new experiences.  In fact, she said it was more important than ever that we should be open-minded.  I wondered if she’d gone radical on us; for a moment, I thought she might pick up a sign and start chanting.
            Come to find out, she was simply prepping us for a new addition to our class at Crossroads Junior High; his name was Derol Pavey and he had something called Tourette syndrome. 

Okay, folks, that's all from me, today.  But hop on over to the Weekend Writing Warrior's Website  http://www.wewriwa.com and catch up with a bunch of awesome authors~and don't forget to pick up your Kindle Copy of Stevie-girl and the Phantom Pilot starting July 9-13 FREE!  

21 comments:

Owllady said...

I like how you spiral in from things the nation was experiencing to your own classroom. I was only 7 in the summer of 1970 and a lot of stuff happening then went right past me, but for older kids some things must have been pretty strange and unsettling. Am wondering how the class reacted to Derol.

gemma parkes said...

Love how you set the scene, looking forward to reading how/if this child is accepted.

Susan Schiler said...

I love how you're setting the stage here... and I'm definitely looking forward to reading more of the drama! I was 9-years old during the time this scene took place, so not too young to appreciate the national tension!

Veronica Scott said...

Interesting set up, a good way to ground us in time for the book's events. Terrific snippet!

Ann Swann said...

Thanks! Derol does shake things up...

Ann Swann said...

Thanks, Gemma!

Ann Swann said...

Yep, at that age, we were just beginning to understand, right?

Ann Swann said...

Thanks, Veronica! =)

Elaine Cantrell said...

You set the stage beautifully. Nice 8.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Nice stage setting. I was finishing my PhD dissertation in 1970, graduating, job-hunting and now much attention for anything else.

Beth said...

I agree that this was a nice way to set the stage for your story. I also like how a lot of the examples you mention of the world being in turmoil pertain to pop culture, which says something about your protagonist.

I am interested and will check out your book once it's on sale next week. :)

Ann Swann said...

Sounds great, Beth, thank you!

Ann Swann said...

wow ~ you barely had time to look up, I'll bet!

Ann Swann said...

Thank you, Elaine!

HistorySleuth said...

Agree with Beth. It says a lot about your character too. Nice opening. I was 13 and not paying attention to any of it except the Beatles. :)
History Sleuth's Milk Carton Murders

Teresa Cypher said...

Wow, Ann, downright wonderful excerpt! What a way to start it out. It actually gave me goosebumps, such a time capsule it was! I must read this book. :-)

Ann Swann said...

Thanks, Teresa. Book One goes free tomorrow, July 9th!

Ann Swann said...

I was about the same age in 1970 ... notice, Stevie admits she didn't realize a lot of what was going on, either. =)

Linda said...

That's really different from your usual snippet, I like it.
The transition between what happens historically and the teacher preparing them for the new student is really well done.

Ann Swann said...

Thanks, Linda...maybe I should include the foreword more often. There is one in every Phantom book and it serves to set the tone.

Anonymous said...

I love the contrast between beginnings and endings there.