Sunday, April 28, 2013

#WeWriWa #8 Sentence Sunday from Stutter Creek



Hi folks,
We're still taking snippets from STUTTER CREEK, my romantic suspense novel coming out June 1st.

Last week, Beth talked about how the women in her family were sometimes visited by loved ones who had passed on.  This week, I jumped us forward just a bit, to see if Beth had inherited this trait.  This scene comes after yet another sleepless night.





              Beth was so exhausted she never even noticed the tiny dots of color that darted here and there around the room.  There were dozens of pinpricks of light, every hue and color of the rainbow.  Gradually coalescing, they swarmed around her gently, like a delicate diaphanous shawl.  Maybe she didn’t see them, but perhaps she sensed them because when she closed her eyes, she finally slipped back into sleep, peacefully. 
            Sunlight woke her the second time.  
            She was lying in the center of her daughter Abby’s soft bed just like she’d done almost every night since the elopement.  Though she was certain she had retreated to the recliner at one point, it seemed as if it was growing more and more difficult to tell the dreams from the waking.
             She had to get out, go somewhere . . .
       

           
All righty, that's all for this week.  Now skip on over to the wewriwa.com website and check out a whole bunch of AWESOME authors!  Until next week...cheers!  

22 comments:

India Masters said...

Very nice. I've been thinking about a storyline where the othe side bleeds into the waking world but this is one genre of fiction I can't seem to make work for me. Great 8.

gemma parkes said...

Love this, beautifully written with great descriptions!

Ann Swann said...

Oddly enough, some of these "bleed throughs" were taken from my own life.

Ann Swann said...

Oh, you are such a dear. Thank you so much. =)

Virginia Kelly said...

What an absolutely gorgeous description! And the emotion portrayed in such a simple manner. Wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Out of this world description! I've had the experience. She's coming to an epiphany. Super eight, writing just beautiful, Ann.

Sara Harris said...

Awesome eight! Love your poetic descriptions :-)

Elaine Cantrell said...

It sounds to me as if she can make contact with the other side. Nice excerpt.

Ann Swann said...

Thanks, Elaine. =)

Ann Swann said...

Thank you very much!

Ann Swann said...

I'm so glad you can relate! Thank you for the lovely words...I may have to just frame them!

Ann Swann said...

What a sweet thing to say. You've made my day, Virginia!

Veronica Scott said...

Wow, I was mesmerized by the colorful little lights, wish she could have seen them! This story is so fascinating...another excellent excerpt!

Ann Swann said...

Thank you, Veronica. Maybe she will see them yet!

Daniel said...

I know this is awfully specific, but sentence #3 was very beautiful. And I also got a quick sense of what is going on, which is often difficult to convey in such a short piece. For me, you didn't even need the intro. The snippet speaks for itself.

Sue Ann Bowling said...

Beautiful writing.

Ann Swann said...

Thank you, Daniel!

Ann Swann said...

Aww, thanks, Sue Ann.

The Belle in Blue said...

Great description, and the snippet really made me feel Beth's turmoil. I'll be back next Sunday!

~Joyce Scarbrough

The Belle in Blue said...

Great description, and the snippet really made me feel Beth's turmoil. I'll definitely be back next Sunday!

~Joyce Scarbrough

Ann Swann said...

Thanks, Joyce!

Teresa Cypher said...

This is an intriguing snippet, Ann. I can hardly wait to read this one! :-)