Thursday, March 8, 2012

Innocence

Good Morning,
Today, I have a question that springs from a review an author gave me on The Phantom Pilot.  It was a wonderful review, and in it she compared my little Stevie-girl to Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games heroine).  She said Stevie was Katniss without the "emotional instability and psychosis." She went on to say that her ten year old daughter had read The Phantom Pilot, and she also loved it.  I thought this was just fantastic, and it made me recall something my niece had said when she and a friend were getting ready to go to the latest Twilight movie.  "We like it because of the the fairy-tale aspect," she said.  I must have looked confused for she went on to explain that "everyone wants that kind of innocent, all-or-nothing, love."  And that's when it hit me, if a woman her age--she has young-adult children--could relate to that in a story, then that might explain why a ten year old girl can enjoy The Phantom Pilot just as well as a forty-year-old.  It's the innocence thing.  Isn't that why books like Love Story were so popular?  And if you add to that a life-death situation like the one in The Hunger Games, wow, what a concept.  Can you tell I'm looking forward to the HG movie?  How about you?  What are you looking forward to?


Afterthought:  Dave Perlmutter was the winner of the Timeless contest.  I have sent him an email.  Just waiting to hear back.  I have also sent Book Two, The Phantom Student, to the editor.  Time to start on Book Three: The Phantom of Crybaby Bridge.  I can't wait...

No comments: