Who: All writers are welcome to submit an entry whether you are non-published, self-published, traditionally published or just beginning your writing journey.
What: Submit the first 3000 words of your unpublished manuscript. It doesn’t matter if it is a completed work or a work in progress. Also, submit a 500-word synopsis.
When: Contest opens June 01, 2017 and ends at midnight June 30, 2017
Where: Manuscript contest winners will be announced at the Permian Basin Writers Workshop.
Why: Each accepted submission will receive feedback in the form of critiques from three authors.
Winner of each category will also receive reviews that can be used on social media and book outlets, a personal interview with a Literary Agent, and a write up in local newspapers.
Manuscript Submission Rules and Guidelines
Have you written a book or two? Are you halfway through the fourth chapter of your first manuscript? The Permian Basin Manuscript Contest is for you. Choose from seven(7) different genres. Each entry is only $30. You may enter up to three manuscripts.
The contest is open now and closes at midnight on June 30, 2017. Winners will be announced at the Permian Basin Writers Workshop on September 15, 2017. Submit your entries by email to:
PermianBasinWritersWorkshop@gmail.com. Please place MANUSCRIPT SUBMISSION in the subject line so it will be properly routed.
GenresMiddle Grade/YARomanceSuspense/Thriller/MysteryGeneral Fiction/Literary FictionNon-Fiction/MemoirChristian/SpiritualSci-Fi/Fantasy/Horror
Format and Guidelines
- Present the first chapters of your manuscript. There’s no need to count pages. Submit 3000 total words. This will include a 500-word synopsis.
- 12 point Times New Roman, double spaced with one inch margins
- Submission must be saved as a .docx Word Document.
- Memoirs should only use first name in the entry or name changed for anonymity
- Name of author should not appear anywhere on manuscript entry or synopsis
- Do not use Track Changes feature
- No Headers or Footers allowed
- Each unique entry is limited to one submission
- Limit of three submissions @ $30.00 per submission
- Submissions may be in one or more genres
- Save submission as Lastname_Firstname_Genre_Title.docx (Lowry_Lois_MiddleGrade_TheGiver.docx)
- Title must appear only on first page of manuscript submission
- After title, the synopsis comes next
- “Synopsis” should appear at the top of the first page of the synopsis.
- Title and “Synopsis” count toward word totals
- Allocate around 500 words for the synopsis
- The remainder of the 3000 words will be the beginning of your manuscript
- Choose the most fitting genre for the entry if your genre is not listed
- Submit contest submission as an email attachment.
- In the body of the email include: Name, Pen Name (if applicable), title of manuscript submission, email address, phone number, second choice of genre, PayPal payment confirmation number(s).
- Payment must be made via the PayPal button first. Copy and paste the confirmation number into the email with your entry.
- Only paid entries will be judged
- Must have minimum of 10 entries per genre. Contestant will be given the option of a second category if the first category does not make
- Contest opens 12:01am on June 1st and closes at midnight on June 30th. All times are Central Standard Time.
- Failure to comply with any of the guidelines forfeits entry and fee
Cost: $30 for each submission. A limit of three unique submissions are allowed.