This is what you should NOT do when you're starting out in the writing biz ...
1. Don't assume everyone loves you or your work
2. Don't enter a contest against your agent's wishes -- yes, I actually lost mine when I entered a contest against her wishes
3. Don't assume you know what's best for your book just because you wrote the darn thing -- see #2
4. Don't assume your editor will catch every little mitsake in your writing -- fine-tooth it yourself
5. Don't rely ONLY on your and your editor's fine-toothing abilities -- use beta readers -- every time
There, those are just a few things you should NOT do in this indie press business.
Now, what should you do?
Here's the main thing...
When you DO find someone who loves you and/or your work, cherish them and never let them go -- especially agents, editors, publishers, and most important of all -- READERS!