Thursday, April 19, 2012

End of an Era

Hi Everyone,
Just a quick note to mourn the passing of the legendary Dick Clark.  When I think of childhood, I think of Sea Hunt with Lloyd Bridges, Gunsmoke with Matt Dillon, Leave it to Beaver with . . . duh, The Beav, and American Bandstand with Dick Clark.  Saturday, noon, I believe it was.  What a lot of fun, rating records, picking out favorite dancers, checking out the fashions--bell bottoms and big hair, mini-skirts and white go go boots.  Yep, those were the days.

I know, I know, my memories are all about TV.  I can't help it.  TV rocked in those days.  I can remember   one soft summer evening, I was lying on the back of the old Plymouth in the driveway, mesmerized by the painted-sky sunset, but listening for the theme to Gilligan's Island just the same.  I knew it would be coming on momentarily.  And I knew I would probably leave the masterpiece in the sky to run inside the nearly-dark house to watch it.  Wow, what a hold those shows had over me.

It seems like The Love Boat came on about that same time, too.  And A Family Affair with Uncle Bill, Buffy, Jody and big sis, Sissy.  Wasn't Mr. French on that one, too?  Oh, and The Incredible Hulk, The Twilight Zone (my very favorite series in the world besides Star Trek), and oh my, I could just go on and on and on.

But I won't.  I'll leave you with this quote: When I was a child, I longed to be a grown-up. Now that I'm an adult, childhood beckons once more.  (unknown author)

Goodnight all,
Catch you on the flip-side as Dick Clark used to say as the credits rolled on Bandstand.
RIP DC.  You were a class act.

Ann

Afterthought: Feel free to leave me a comment telling me what your favorite TV show was...or is.





2 comments:

  1. Ah, the old TV shows. My favorite was Star Trek, because my dad and I would watch the episodes together. Then, there was the Addams Family, The Munsters, Hogan's Heroes, and The Beverly Hillbillies. I guess I was into situation comedies!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those were the days, weren't they? I did love all those, too. So many! Wonder how different we would have been if we hadn't had those shows? I was very attached!

      Delete

Please leave a comment.