Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Bullying Leads to Suicide


"It often requires more courage to dare to do right than to fear to do wrong." -Abraham Lincoln
I don't often voice my opinions on current events, but every now and then I have to speak up. In light of something that happened in our little corner of Texas, the above quote seemed especially relevant.

You see, a little twelve-year-old girl took her own life this past week. No, I did not know her, but apparently she was being bullied both at school and on social media. Her profile picture shows a smiling face befitting that of an angel. And now--NOW--students are flooding her page with messages of love.  
I can't even begin to express the sorrow and anger I feel, and yet child suicide is no longer an infrequent occurence. Some news reports stated that suicide is the third most common cause of death in children ages ten to fourteen. 
Why am I writing about this in my usually book-laced blog? Is it because suicide has touched my own life? Not really, although it certainly has. This time it's because I taught this age group for many years
--ages ten to twelve--and I know how easily this sort of thing can happen. It only takes one or two ugly comments to ruin a child's day. Pile comment on top of comment and over time, it can obviously ruin a child's life.

Besides, I had to write about it. Writing is what I do. When something bothers me, or hits too close to home, I write about it. I only wish that sweet little angel had lived long enough to develop such an outlet. Maybe another child will be touched by her death. Maybe that other one will cease to be a bully. Or perhaps that other one will open up and let someone else share his/her burden before it's too late. 

If we keep talking about it, maybe it will happen.

  • If you or someone you know is battling depression or have ever considered taking your own life, help is available. The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline is a free service for anyone needing help. Their number is 1-800-273-TALK.

For Valrie Stover, Rest in Peace little angel. 

No comments: